Preparing to Leave

There are quite a few things to remember when you are moving out

The cleaning has to be done at the end of the tenancy

Unipol are not able to enter in to discussions with groups or individuals about whether it is fair or not. It is therefore important that you discuss with your co-tenants how you plan to clean the house before you all leave.

If some occupants are leaving a lot earlier than others, this needs to be planned and in some circumstances, you may have no alternative but to return as the tenancy ends, to ensure the property is ok. If you are on a joint tenancy, deductions can be made from any member of the household for the condition of the property. If you are on an individual tenancy, you are the only person liable for the condition of your bedroom. However; all occupants at the address are always equally responsible for the cleaning of the communal areas in the property including hallways, bathrooms, lounges, cellars, yards, and kitchens.

Carpet Cleaning

If you know your carpet or sofas need cleaning due to excessive dirt or an accidental spill, you can use the services of our approved contractor, Rapid Dry. Contact Steve Smith on 0113 263 3876 Please note; the minimum job value is £40 so if a number of carpets need cleaning - it makes sense to club together.

Carpet damage and claiming on your insurance

If you think your carpet needs replacing due to melting, burning or a permanent stain, then you should inform Unipol now. Contact your Housing Management Officer and ask for a quote for the carpet replacement and then register a claim with Endsleigh Insurance.

It is in your interests to do this now, rather than leaving it to the end of the tenancy when making a claim could be more difficult.


Unipol does not forward mail or parcels. We will not collect and forward mail from the property or allow extenants keys to collect mail from a property. If you expect mail to be delivered you need to instruct Royal Mail to redirect your post. Redirection is a cost effective way of continuing to receive mail when you move home.

To obtain this service you can visit the Royal Mail website and fill in the on-line application form. Alternatively, go to any Post Office and ask for a Redirection Application Form. Redirection takes one week to set up, so be prepared in advance.

You should still inform all correspondents of your change of address before you leave.

Disposing of your rubbish and waste

Unipol do not want your old furniture, appliances or rubbish, so you need to think about how you are getting it out of the property. Please remember, we will charge removal and tipping fees if you leave unwanted items and rubbish in the property.

Think about what you are going to do with your rubbish, what needs to be thrown away and what can be recycled or given to charity. If your bins are left overflowing or back yard is left full of rubbish, we will pass the cost onto you for clearing this, so think ahead.

All the latest information for your area, including a map of recycling points, can be found here.

Bills - Gas, Electricity, Water, Telephone and Internet

If you are responsible for your bills, you must advise the supply companies that you are leaving and take an accurate meter reading on the day you move out and close the account. You will then need to provide a forwarding address so they can send on the final bill.

If you do not inform your supplier and close your account, you could end up paying for the supply of the tenants moving in. If requested, Unipol have an obligation to pass on home addresses of previous occupants to supply companies.

Damage and claiming on your insurance

If you think something needs replacing due to damage then you should inform Unipol now. Contact your Housing Management Officer, ask them for a quote for the damage or replacement, and then register a claim with Endsleigh insurance. It is in your interest to do this now, rather than leave it to the end of your tenancy when making a claim could be more difficult.

Front cover - leaving your property.JPG