Finding a Replacement

When you sign a Unipol Tenancy you are contractually obliged to pay the rent in full for the contracted period

As a not for profit provider we try and maximise our occupancy to keep rents lower.

Never simply leave your room and hope that the issue of paying rent will go away: it won’t. Simply leaving your room means that Unipol cannot even try to let it, because it is still legally occupied by you and Unipol will always seek to recover monies owed in these circumstances.

Under normal circumstances you will not be released from your contract even if you have given up your course and are leaving the city. It is never possible to release you from your contractual obligations in the final three months of your tenancy.

If you want, or feel, you have to leave your accommodation there are some options open to you so you do not have to continue paying rent:

Finding a replacement tenant

We ask all tenants wishing to be released to find a replacement tenant for the tenancy. This way Unipol does not lose income and we can then release you.


1. Contact your Housing Management Officer and explain the circumstances about why you wish to leave the tenancy.

2. Unipol can advertise your room for you on the Unipol website*

3 You can also use the Student to Student noticeboard to advertise your room. It is advisable for you to use both advertising options 

4. You will be sent some forms to complete in full and return (in person/by post) to Unipol before we place the advert. Do not delay if you wish to be released.

 5.  If or when a replacement is found, Unipol will sign up the new tenant and release you from your contractual obligations. There will be no gap in tenancy and you will be liable for rent up until this date.

6. Unipol will charge the following administration charges for any amendments to the contract.

- £50.00 if you find your own replacement (you do the viewings)

- £100.00 if Unipol finds a replacement (viewings carried out by Unipol staff). 

Please note: the adminstration fee will have to be paid at the time when a replacement is found and before any amendments to the contract.

Tenancy Support options

If you and your housemates are not getting on and that is the reason you want to leave it is worth talking to the Tenancy Support Officer. They may be able to help you resolve inter-tenant friction and issues in your house, or they may be able to arrange relocation to another Unipol property. If this is of interest to you please contact the Tenancy Support Officer: If Unipol are able to relocate you, you will need to complete paperwork to finalise your move.


* at certain times of the year Unipol have the right to remove adverts that are displayed on behalf of a tenant seeking a replacement